Selecting a floor coating solution depends on the requirement — a technical-functional response or a decorative requirement or both.
The range of types of systems designed for flooring is wide. It includes epoxy, polyurethane, MMA, ordinary cement, polyurethane cement, polymeric cement and other types.
Selecting The appropriate floor system depends on required specifications and features of the client. There are several parameters for selecting the desired type of floor application, as follows:Cost versus available budget and the cost of shutdown of an operating facility require of an existing facility require several execution alternatives. Several major sections of the work can be separated in every project, both in planning and execution, as follows:
- Slippage coefficient on the R scale
- Anti-static, such as MMA floors or anti-static epoxy treatment
- Sealing — hot/cold polyurea-based treatment
- Chemical resistance, such as standard Novolac chemical-resistant epoxy coating or other systems
- Abrasion and shock resistance, such as polyurethane cement floors
- Short project downtime — using rapid drying systems such as MMA, polyurea or epoxy
- UV Resistance, such as elliptic Polyurethane Coatings
- Visibility and decoration, use of epoxy terrazzo floors or decorative micro-topping
- Preparation of the surface adapted to the coating system (CSP grades) and the primer layer that is bonded to the base.
- Top Coat
Basic Procedure for Floor Renovation and Coating:
- Examination of the existing base — the existing coat, pull out test for thickness assessment, measurement of roughness, humidity and ambient temperature.
- Specification of requirement vis-à-vis the client or the designer
- Selection of a surface preparation method, which includes planing, grinding, milling or complete removal of the existing base (determining CSP grades for surface preparation) for the purpose of applying of the primer layers.
- Selection of the thickness and the filler body for application according to the specified properties.
- Selection of a final coating system according to the specified properties.